Healthy Beginnings provides Medical Assistance coverage for:
- Pregnant women (coverage for pregnant women can begin as soon as your doctor or nurse informs you that you are pregnant).
- Children of low-income families through age 18.
Children are automatically covered up to age one if the mother is eligible for and receiving Medical Assistance on the date of the child’s birth and the child continues to live with the mother.
How Can I Apply for Healthy Beginnings?
- If you are pregnant, your doctor’s office or health clinic may be able to complete a form providing you with temporary eligibility and assist you in completing an application.
- You may apply online using COMPASS. You can also use COMPASS to apply for other benefits such as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and Cash Assistance.
- You can also contact your local county assistance office for an application or you may download an application form (below) to send to your county assistance office. If you need help completing the application form and a friend or relative is unable to help you, trained county assistance office staff members can help you.
Application for Health Care Coverage
Solicitud de la cobertura medica
What are the Medical Benefits of the Healthy Beginnings Program?
- Provides health care coverage to underinsured or uninsured pregnant women and infants
- Full scope of medical services coverage
- Coverage for the pregnant woman eligible for and receiving Medical Assistance is continued for 60 days after the birth
- Proper prenatal care
- Early detection and treatment of health problems
- Helps in decreasing infant mortality
- Helps in decreasing low birth weight, which is tied to health problems later in life
Other Information about Healthy Beginnings
Healthy Beginnings Eligibility Requirements