Human Services Licensing

On July 1, 2012, the Department of Human Services (DHS) consolidated licensing functions previously administered in several DHS program offices into a single administrative Bureau of Human Services Licensing (BHSL) within the DHS' Office of Administration. By consolidating licensing functions, DHS seeks to increase efficiency by eliminating duplicative administrative structures and to improve its regulatory protection of vulnerable populations. The Bureau of Human Services Licensing (BHSL) is responsible for the oversight of the following regulations: Adult Training Facilities (55 Pa.Code Chapter 2380), Vocational Facilities (55 Pa.Code Chapter 2390), Personal Care Homes (55 Pa.Code Chapter 2600), Assisted Living Residences (55 Pa.Code Chapter 2800), Child Residential and Day Treatment Facilities (55 Pa.Code Chapter 3800), Community Residential Rehabilitation Services for the Mentally Ill (55 Pa.Code Chapter 5310), Long-Term Structured Residences (55 Pa.Code Chapter 5320), Community Homes for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities (55 Pa.Code Chapter 6400), and Family Living Homes (55 Pa.Code Chapter 6500).

If you are having difficulty finding the information you need, please contact DHS.

**For anyone interested in receiving email updates related to Human Services provider services, please join our ListServ email update service.**

**WHAT'S NEW - Updates to the Website**

  • BHSL will be holding a webinar on Wednesday, 7/19/17 from 1:30pm - 3:00pm for Personal Care Home and Assisted Living Providers entitled " Have Questions about Licensing? Where to Get Answers from BHSL."  registration is required to attend the webinar and may be accessed through this link.  After registering you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.  Any questions may be directed to the Operator Support Hotline at (866) 503-3926.
  • April 2017 Q/As have been posted for personal care homes and assisted living residences. Please see the links below titled "Personal Care Homes - Policy, Regulations and Interpretation Information" and "Assisted Living Residences - Policy, Regulations and Interpretation Information" to access the new Q/As (May 17, 2017).
  • Effective April 1, 2017, the Bureau of Human Services Licensing (BHSL) regional offices will begin to manage the licensing of Assisted Living Residences (ALR) located within their region. Please see the links below titled "Assisted Living Residences - Regional Offices", "Assisted Living Residences - Regions", and "Assisted Living Residences - Miscellaneous Information" (March 31, 2017).
  • Effective April 1, 2017 oversight of Chester County personal care homes will move from Central region to Southeast region. Please see the links below titled "Personal Care Homes - Regional Offices" and "Personal Care Homes - Regions" (March 31, 2017).
  • Entrance conference guides to assist licensees in preparing for an inspection have been added. Please see the "Forms" link for each of the licensing sections below (March 6, 2017).
  • The March - May 2017 Medication Administration Training Program dates are now available. Please see the link titled "General - Training Information" under the "General Information" section below (January 31, 2017).
  • Free annual training is being offered for PCH Administrators and direct care staff. See the link titled "Free Training for PCH Administrators & Direct Care Staff" by clicking the "Personal Care Homes - Training Information" link below (January 25, 2017).
  • The Bureau of Human Services Licensing is seeking human service provider feedback about the most recent licensing inspection at your facility and/or new application submissions within past 12 months. The surveys are brief and will only take about 5 minutes to complete. The responses will be reviewed and assessed for improvements to the licensing process. Participation is voluntary and responses will be kept confidential. An aggregate of the survey results will be posted on the Bureau of Human Services Licensing website at least annually. To access the survey links, please see the link below titled "General - Miscellaneous Information" under the "General Information" section. After clicking on the link titled "General - Miscellaneous Information", scroll down to the bolded, highlighted text "Provider Survey"; the survey links are in blue font (January 13, 2017).

General Information:

Adult Protective Services (APS) Information:

Do you have a question, comment, complaint or suggestion for the Bureau of Human Services Licensing? Now there's a hotline just for you! Human Services Licensing’s Operator Support Hotline is available from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. each business day.
For assistance call: 1-866-503-3926
(This hotline is for human service operators)
Calls to the hotline may be anonymous and will not result in unannounced licensing inspections

Personal Care Homes Information:

Assisted Living Residences Information:


Do you or someone you know receive services from a human services setting?
Do you have a complaint or a concern about how care is provided? 
If so, call: 1-877-401-8835

Child Residential and Day Treatment Center Licensing Information:

Intellectual Disabilities Licensing Information:


Mental Health Licensing Information: