Human Services Licensing
In February 2017, the Department of Human Services announced the beginning of the process to redeploy staff who currently work in the Bureau of Human Service Licensing to the program offices they serve. Intellectual Disabilities licensing for Chapters 2380 (Adult Training Facilities), 2390 (Vocational Facilities), 6400 (Community Homes for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities), and 6500 (Family Living Homes), transitioned to the Office of Developmental Programs on April 1, 2017. Subsequently, on July 1, 2017, Child Residential licensing for Chapter 3800 (Child Residential and Day Treatment Facilities) and Mental Health licensing staff for Chapters 5310 (Community Residential Rehabilitation Services for the Mentally Ill) and 5320 (Long-Term Structured Residences) transitioned to the Office of Children, Youth & Families and the Office of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services respectively.
The Bureau of Human Services Licensing is responsible for the statewide licensing and oversight of Personal Care Homes (Chapter 2600) and Assisted Living Residences (Chapter 2800). Licensing Administration and Research Section and Adult Protective Services Section (Act 70 of 2010) are also under the auspices of the Bureau of Human Services Licensing.
Learn about the Office of Developmental Programs regarding the applications, licensing, and the services they provide.
Learn about the Office of Children, Youth & Families regarding applications, licensing, and the services they provide.
Learn about the Office of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services regarding applications, licensing, and the services they provide.
If you are having difficulty finding the information you need, please contact DHS.
Join our ListServ to receive email updates related to Human Services Licensing.
**WHAT'S NEW - Updates to the Website**
- BHSL will be holding a webinar on Thursday, Jan. 25, 2018 from 10:00am - 12:00pm for Personal Care Home and Assisted Living Providers entitled "Infection Control and other OSHA Requirements Relating to Personal Care Homes and Assisted Living Residences”. Registration is required to attend the webinar and may be accessed through this link. After registering you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar. Any questions may be directed to the Operator Support Hotline at (866) 503-3926 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Previously recorded webinars may be found under the "General - Training Information" link below.
- Question and Answers for October 2017 have been posted for Chapter 2600 and Chapter 2800 in the Policy, Regulations and Interpretation sections.
- Free annual training is being offered for PCH Administrators. See the links titled "Free Training for PCH Administrators" under the "Personal Care Homes - Training Information" link below. (July 31, 2017)
- The Department of Human Services is seeking human service provider feedback about the most recent licensing inspection at your facility and/or new application submissions within past 12 months. The surveys are brief and will only take about 5 minutes to complete. The responses will be reviewed and assessed for improvements to the licensing process. Participation is voluntary and responses will be kept confidential. An aggregate of the survey results will be posted on the Bureau of Human Services Licensing website at least annually. To access the survey links, please see the link below titled "General - Miscellaneous Information" under the "General Information" section. After clicking on the link titled "General - Miscellaneous Information", scroll down to the bolded, highlighted text "Provider Survey"; the survey links are in blue font (January 13, 2017).
BUREAU OF HUMAN SERVICES LICENSING (BHSL) OPERATOR SUPPORT HOTLINE
Do you have a question, comment, complaint or suggestion for the Bureau of Human Services Licensing? Now there's a hotline just for you! Human Services Licensing’s Operator Support Hotline is available from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. each business day.
For assistance call: 1-866-503-3926
(This hotline is for human service operators)
Calls to the hotline may be anonymous and will not result in unannounced licensing inspections
BUREAU OF HUMAN SERVICES LICENSING (BHSL) COMPLAINT HOTLINE
Do you or someone you know receive services from a human services setting?
Do you have a complaint or a concern about how care is provided?
If so, call: 1-877-401-8835